Olango Floating Restaurants - Caw-oy, Olango Island, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
Floating Restaurants are on the rise and one of the pioneers and most popular in the industry is the Loboc River Floating Restaurant in Bohol. In northern Cebu, you can find one in the thriving town of Tabuelan and when in Olango Island, there are 4 or 5 floating restaurants in Barangay Caw-oy.
|Olango Floating Restaurants - Caw-oy, Olango Island, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu|
|Efren and Gloria Floating Restaurant in Caw-oy Olango Island|
One of the famous floating restaurants in Olango is Arnold and Candie Floating Restaurant, the one where my tour guide/tricycle driver brought me. You need to use the boat to go there. I actually met the owner who was so nice that she even invited me to their house but since I need to maximize my time in the island, I respectfully declined.
SUTUKIL METHOD OF COOKING
|Arnold and Candie Floating Restaurant in Caw-oy, Olango Island, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu|
|Arnold and Candie Floating Restaurant in Caw-oy, Olango Island|
SUTUKIL METHOD OF COOKING
There is a popular term in how the food is cooked here in Cebu and other Cebuano speaking provinces, SuTuKil, which is a shortcut for SugbaTuwaKilaw (Grill, Steam, Raw). It is how it works in these floating restaurants. You have to choose which seafoods you want and then you have to tell the waiter which method of cooking you want, be it grilled, steamed or eaten raw. If you have to choose to eat the food raw, the main ingredient used is vinegar and some spices (onions, garlic, tomato, ginger, etc).
|Seafoods at Arnold and Candie Floating Restaurant|
WHAT TO EXPECT
Most customers of these floating restaurants are foreigners and as such, these restaurants are pricey. Sorry to say but as a local, they are indeed pricey to be quite honest but maybe because they are cooked fresh from the ocean. Just to give you an idea, a one whole fish can cost you one thousand pesos (P1000), so prepare extra cash when you get there. At the counter, make sure to have your orders computed before placing them for cooking, that way, you can return some of your orders when you are running out of budget.
|Arnold and Candie Floating Restaurant in Caw-oy, Olango Island - this meal including rice and softdrinks cost me two thousand pesos (P2000), so it is advisable to have your orders computed before placing them for cooking.|
WAS IT WORTH IT?
Yes, definitely, it is worth it. The food taste good. When you go to any destinations and dine at a certain restaurant or buy souvenir items, regardless of the price, you are contributing to the tourism industry in that particular place. Isn't it great?
HOW TO GO TO OLANGO FLOATING RESTAURANTS IN OLANGO ISLAND VIA HILTON PORT
- Ride a taxi, Grab or Angkas to Parkmall or J Centre Mall
- Disembark at the PUV Terminal in Parkmall or J Centre Mall
- At the Parkmall PUV Terminal, ride a jeepney heading to Punta Engano or if you are coming from J Centre Mall (JMall) PUV Terminal, ride a jeepney heading to Soong. If you took the Soong jeepney, disembark at Marina Mall and from Marina Mall, ride another jeepney heading to Punta Engano
- Disembark at Movenpick Hotel. Beside the hotel, you will see a small road heading downwards, use that road, it will lead you to Hilton Port or Movenpick Port.
- Buy a ticket bound for Santa Rosa Port. Fare is only P15 and a minimal terminal fee (if any). I only paid P15. (Travel time from Hilton Port to Santa Rosa Port and vice versa is only 15 to 20 minutes).
- Board a motorized banca heading to Santa Rosa Port.
- From Santa Rosa Port, ride a motorbike or tricycle to bring you Caw-oy Floating Restaurants. The restaurants are somewhere in Barangay Caw-oy. Fare of fifty to one hundred twenty pesos (P50-P120) is reasonable.
- The quickest way to get to Hilton Port or Movenpick Port is to ride a taxi, Grab or Angkas for Movenpick Hotel then see steps 4 to 7 above.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
|Olango Island - Things To Do and How To Get There|
|Sagastrand Beach Resort - San Vicente, Olango Island, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu|
|Sands Gateway Mall - Danao City, Cebu|
|Co Jordan Fishing Lagoon and Seafood Restaurant - Consolacion, Cebu|
|Tourist Spots in Cebu, Bohol, Leyte, Palawan and Other Destinations|