Mactan Shrine Cebu - One of Cebu's Most Famous Landmarks, Lapu-Lapu City Cebu
Many of you may have been to Mactan Shrine once, twice or several times already but have you visited the place lately or do you know how to commute there? If you don't or if you are new in Cebu and want to visit the place, see the guide at the bottom on how to get to Mactan Shrine. Lapu-Lapu Shrine in Mactan is one of Cebu Province's most famous landmarks, the other one is Magellan's Cross situated in Cebu City. Mactan Shrine is situated in the island of Mactan, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu. Lapu-Lapu City was formerly known as Opon and until today, most locals including myself interchangeably use Opon and Lapu-Lapu City.
The Lapu-Lapu Shrine was built in honor of Lapu-Lapu, a native leader who defeated the Spanish soldiers led by the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan in the 1521 Battle of Mactan.
The Magellan Shrine is a large memorial tower erected in 1866 in honor of the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan. The spot is believed to be the site where Magellan was killed in the 1521 Battle of Mactan.
BATTLE OF MACTAN NOW AN ANNUAL EVENT KNOWN AS KADAUGAN SA MACTAN
The Battle of Mactan (Cebuano: Gubat sa Mactan; Filipino: Labanan sa Mactan; Spanish: Batalla de Mactán) was fought in the Philippines on 27 April 1521, prior to Spanish colonization. The warriors of Lapu-Lapu, a native chieftain of Mactan Island, overpowered and defeated a Spanish force fighting for Rajah Humabon of Cebu, under the command of Ferdinand Magellan, who was killed in the battle. (To read more about the rich history of Lapu-Lapu City and how Lapu-Lapu fought during the Battle of Mactan, read more here). This Battle of Mactan is now being re-enacted in an annual event called Kadaugan sa Mactan (Triumph of Mactan) held every 27th day of April . So, if you love to witness this event, head out to Mactan Shrine. There is a Kadaugan sa Mactan Trade Fair inside Mactan Shrine that runs from January 27 to April 30, 2018.
|Kadaugan sa Mactan (Victory in Mactan) is an annual event held every 27th day of April re-enacting the Battle of Mactan. (Photo: Cebu Daily News)|
INSIDE MACTAN SHRINE
Aside from Lapu-Lapu Shrine and Magellan Shrine, you can also find the Battle of Mactan Site, the site where Lapu-Lapu and his men repulsed the Spanish invaders. There are also a little plaza, a playground, souvenir shops and a number of food stalls.
|Here on this site on 27 April 1521, Lapu-Lapu and his men repulsed the Spanish Invaders killing their leader, Ferdinand Magellan. Thus, Lapu-Lapu became the first Filipino to have repelled European agression.|
There are several restaurants and souvenir shops outside Mactan Shrine and 7 Eleven is a walking distance. Also, a few meters away are the famous resorts Shangri-La Mactan Island Resort and Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island. Other places nearby are Mactan Newtown, Mactan Alfresco, Mactan Newtown Beach, Mactan Church - they are just a walking distance away. So, the next time you visit Mactan Shrine, know that you can't be bored as there are several beach resorts and establishments nearby.
|Enjoy Jeeney Dining Experience at Mactan Alfresco in Mactan Newtown|
HOW TO GO TO MACTAN SHRINE FROM SM CEBU
HOW TO GO TO MACTAN SHRINE FROM JCENTRE MALL AND PARKMALL
Okay, so many of you may have been there or have passed by this historic place on your way to Shangri-La or Movenpick but do you know how to commute there? Here's how to get to Mactan Shrine from J Centre Mall or Parkmall:
- Go to J Centre Mall PUV Terminal or Parkmall PUV Terminal. The PUV terminal for both malls is situated outside the mall
- Ride a jeepney bound for Soong/Marigondon. Fare is P9 (from J Centre Mall)
- Disembark at a jeepney stop before reaching the corner of Mactan Newtown. Then walk straight passing by the corner for Mactan Newtown until you see 7 Eleven, Mactan Shrine is just a few steps away. Alternatively, disembark at Marina Mall then ride another jeepney bound for Punta Engano (Fare is P7) then disembark at Mactan Shrine.
- You can also go there from Marina Mall and ride a jeepney bound for Punta Engano then disembark at Mactan Shrine.
- If Punta Engano bound jeepney is available at Parkmall PUV Terminal, ride a jeepney bound to Punta Engano then disembark at Mactan Shrine.
- You may opt to go there by taxi, Grab or via your private vehicle. If via private vehicle, take the route heading towards Shangri-La or Movenpick, you should see the place on your left or download the Waze app to navigate your way there.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
|Pueblo Verde - Lapu-Lapu City|
|Beaches in Cebu Philippines|